Wednesday 23 March 2011

Coltsfoot again

A trip out to Hoy today provided a lot of highlights. I walked from Heldale Water to Little Rackwick - the wind (a force 5/6) was against me as I headed west across the blanket bog below Bakingstone Hill. The bog was composed of Sphagna and Cotton grass but towards the west, the hill gets drier and more heathery - in among the heather was a fair abundance of Bearberry. I'm contemplating locating the Bearberry wth a backdrop of the Candle of the Sneuk for one of Anne's 'Hill' plates. Other highlights which I'll publish later included Mountain Hares and Juniper.

At Lyness, I noticed this little grouping of Coltsfoot (or Coltsfeet) by the side of the road to the pier. This picture, with the Hoy Head arriving in the background, is a good candidate for the finished volume. It'll need Anne's touch to bring it to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment